Saturday, November 8, 2008

search and rescue

I hesitate to let you all in on the gloomy news but hey, this is what the blog is for. Um, a plane crashed. Our company contracted a company to do an airborne geophysical survey over an area that we are curious about and we haven't heard from them since Nov 1st (full story - find press release). The pilot and co-pilot are American and the airborne geophysical operator is Canadian. We have two helicopters and two planes buzzing around, but they are having trouble picking up the plane's distress signal.
The big difference between this flight and the planes I fly in is that these guys fly "slow and low" in order operate the equipment. Totally sucks and there is a real somber attitude here. Also, six guys got sent home last week because they had malaria. The equipment I use keeps breaking down and about 30% of the local staff has been laid off. I'm glad this is my last trip.
Hope I didn't harsh your mellow.

Helicopters are cool though...



that's right, picture and video (so this is rock and roll? dun-dun dun, de-de de)

No comments: